Creating that First Impression
Whether you are you walking into an interview or a meeting it is very important to make a excellent first impression. You have done the hard work, sent your CV, spoken to the recruiter, met them and now you have an interview for your dream job!
It amazes me that so many people don’t make a good impression. The interviewers in most cases have decided that you are right for the job in the first 5 minutes of the interview so this is why it is so important to make a great first impression. Don’t let your hard work go to waste.
Here are some pointers
- Do you research - if this is your dream job and company, you must know what they do and their background. Know them inside out! Don’t just look at their website do more digging around. Look up all details like company accounts, press releases, joint ventures, etc. This makes you stand out from the crowd and you are not just rehashing what is on their company page.
- Arrive on Time - there is nothing worse than being late for an interview. Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes beforehand. If you are late you are going to be in a panic and you are going to start off on the wrong foot altogether. Plan your trip and do a demo run beforehand and pre-empt the possibility of heavy traffic.
- Firm handshake - this is crucial. Always look the interviewer in the eye and give a good firm handshake. This creates a great impression and will get you on the way to a successful rapport with your interviewer.
- Prepare Answers - your recruitment consultant should have gone through a good interview prep with you before the interview. Always remember to practice your interview answers and have good examples/scenarios to demonstrate your experience, competencies and capabilities
- Ask final questions - always have a few questions to hand to ask at the end of the interview. This not only shows your interest in the role and company it shows that you have done your research!
La Crème are always at hand to offer interview advice and prep. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Best of Luck. I hope this is of some help in making the best first impression!