How to Make Your New Hire Feel at Home
Starting a new job can be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life, that and moving house they say.
Starting a new job can be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life, that and moving house they say. Here are some ways you can make your new employee feel right at home in their new role.
1. On the first day, have the new employee start a little later than the normal company start time. This allows you time to prepare their work station and get through your own emails.
2. Take time to introduce him/her to other staff in the office, this will help break the ice for the new starter and will help them to get to know their office colleagues.
3. Show them around! Make sure to show them the office facilities like the staff canteen or kitchen and also the bathrooms.
4. Sign the person up to all new starter training and make sure they have a company induction.
5. Assign them a ‘buddy’. Many companies take the ‘buddy’ approach as this helps makes a new employee feel more comfortable with asking questions as they have a go-to person.
6. Make sure to let them know who the SME’s (Subjact Matter Experts) are in each area so they can ask the necessary questions.
7. Take them out for lunch on their first day. It will be a great way for everybody to get to know each other.
And finally be patient!! – realise that this is a new role and a new company for this person. There is lots to learn between new systems, procedures and processes. Having patience with new starters will allow employees to settle in much quicker…after all a happy employee equals more work output and increased productivity.
If you are looking to hire a new member to your team please do not hesitate to contact me Ciara Kelly. I'd be delighted to assist you in your search.Home