The power of first Impressions
in the hopes of a firm and solid hand shake but instead I'm met with a clammy, limp, fingers-only hand that falls into mine as if by mistake, I despair!
Make an Impression
You only get to make one first impression so it better be a good one, shouldn't it? According to Frances Jones of Image Matters, five seconds is all it takes for a human being to create their impression of you! So in a world of fabulously constructed CV's, here are my top 10 tips for creating the best possible first impression with your interviewer:
- Dress the part - keep it simple, sleek and professional.
- Personal hygiene - it goes without saying you would think but keep it clean at all times.
- Smile - smiling is infectious, smiling at your interviewer creates positive energy from the outset.
- Strong, firm hand shake - no limp clammy hands please.
- Good eye contact - look your interviewer in the eye, engage!
- Speak up - elevate your tone and use your interviewers name, everybody loves hearing their own name.
- Positive energy - exude positive energy and you'll get it back.
- Be enthusiastic - but don't over do it, you don't want to come across as OTT.
- Maintain good posture and walk tall, you'll feel more confident.
- And…relax! Take a deep breath and relax. The more relaxed you are the more naturally confident you'll appear.