Temporary employees: top 10 tips
So you have just been offered your first temporary assignment and you’re feeling a little nervous. Not sure what you need to do before you start? Below are some tips on how to prepare for your assignment and how to get the most out of it:
Top 10 tips for temporary employees:
- Be open minded about temporary assignments; take as many as you can; the experience will be invaluable.
- Don’t miss out on a week long temporary assignment just because you have agreed to go for coffee with someone on the Tuesday.
- Do some research on the company before starting; it will help you settle into your assignment quicker if you know what the company do and who they do business with etc.
- Make sure you know where you are going; get directions the night before and even do a dry run if you’re unsure.
- Leave in plenty of time and take into consideration heavy morning traffic.
- Arrive ten minutes early so that you are not flustered, your day will start smoothly and most likely continue this way.
- Make sure that you are appropriately dressed and your hair, nails etc are neat and tidy. A good first impression can go a long way!
- Introduce yourself to everyone in the office; starting an assignment can be difficult but if you have friendly faces to meet every day you’re half way there.
- Learn as much as you can while you’re there; not only will it leave a good impression with your line manager but any additional experienced gained can be put on your CV and benefit you when applying for future roles.
- Most importantly, treat every assignment like a working interview. You never know when that client is going to recruit for a permanent position and if you have left a lasting impression you could be the person they call!
Best of luck in your temporary role !