Tips on Working From Home & Well Being During Covid-19
With Covid-19 being the main topic of news and conversation at the moment, it is important to keep to our normal work routine as much as we possibly can and to have coping mechanisms in place to ensure a healthy well being during these times.
For many of us right now, it is still business as usual - albeit working remotely! We here at La Crème wanted to share some useful tips to go by when working from home to keep your day and routine as close to your usual “norm” as possible. We have also given some tips below for looking after your well being during these times.
Top Tips for Working from Home
- Get Dressed -This is a simple point but also crucial! Getting dressed makes us feel confident and human, it serves as a signal that it’s time to get up and get things done and also draws the line between being at work at being at home.
- Designate a Work space – For someone who is used to going into an office each day, the separation between work life and home life is physical. Therefore, it is essential to try and recreate this at home with a physical work space. This will also help with switching off from work in the evenings.
- Keep a Clearly Defined Work Schedule – When working from home, you are in charge of your environment and must treat yourself like an employee, therefore you should be clear about when you’re working and when you’re not. It is important to establish boundaries with the people you live with so you cut down on distractions during your work day and be able to give the people you care about your full attention once you disconnect from work.
- Take your Lunch on time and Get Plenty of Fresh Air- Give yourself adequate time during the day to walk away from your computer screen and phone for lunch. Going for a walk out in the fresh air can really help to clear your head and set you up for the evening ahead with a clear view.
- Don’t Get Too Engrossed in the News - Checking in on Covid-19 updates is going to be on your mind at the moment so to ensure you don’t get too sucked into it all for too long, we suggest to set yourself an amount of time each that you will give to the news. This will help with the anxiety and stress of it all!
- Communicate with Your Colleagues Regularly – Random small talks and banter in the office is what makes your day fun and unique. It is essential that we still keep up this social aspect when working from home during a time like this through video calls, texts or chat! Reach out to your colleagues – such catch up messages go a long way.
This is a stressful time for everyone and being told to keep our distance from friends and family and limit our contact with the outside world can be scary. This uncertainty can lead to anxiety, so it is important that we look after our well being during this time.
Here are a few tools to help us cope during these unprecedented times:
- Connect with Others – When having to stay away and social distance from others it can be difficult to feel connected. However, feeling connected with both our friends and family is an essential part of our well being. Therefore, we must keep in contact and virtually spend time with the people closest to us through video calls, social media and whatever helps you have fun with friends and family.
- Stay Active - Exercise is essential for both our physical and mental well being and there are several ways to keep active whilst social distancing during these times such as getting out in the fresh air for walks, taking part in live Yoga and Pilates class on Instagram and online workout classes.
- Reading & Practice Mindfulness – No matter what is going on in the world, a good book can provide comfort, insight or welcome escape. Now may be a good time to try something out of your reading comfort zone or revisit an old favourite.
We hope that you find some of the above points useful and that they may be of benefit to you when keeping to routine and ensuring a healthy well being during these times.